I don't really understand why you find Alex's message so frustrating.
We'd love to make --safe-plugins the default.  One road to getting
there is having more people use the option and find the
incompatibilities.  We'd certainly welcome patches that improve it's
compatibility.  If we can make it work well enough, then we can turn
it on by default and everyone wins.

Adam