On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Peter Kasting<pkast...@google.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I'd prefer if all the ports have this.
> There are three reasons for this, one of them silly:
> (1) Shows themes you've gotten from sources other than the gallery (I don't
> know if this is possible at this moment, but it will be someday, right?)

No, why is it useful to see themes you've previously installed? I
mean, why is it anymore than seeing any other webpage you've
previously visited. We already have mechanisms to find things you
visited previously. Why does themes need it's own?

> (2) Limited to the set of themes you've actually shown interest in by using.
>  Think about if the gallery had several thousand themes (the way Firefox has
> several thousand Personas).

I don't even buy that this would work. You can't tell which themes you
like by looking at the picture. I suspect it is more typical to
actually try it on for size before deciding it is hideous/awesome.

> (3) Usable while offline/unable to access gallery (silly reason).

You're right, silly.

> The first two are sufficient reasons to me that I've been surprised to not
> see this kind of a switch in the WIndows UI.

Funny, you recently argued in a different thread (about a different
feature request) that the cost for following a link is basically nil,
so there shouldn't be any separate UI other than that ;-).

Agree right now that installing a theme is slightly higher cost than
following a link. But it shouldn't be.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 9:02 PM, PhistucK<phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seeing as there is currently no UI for it other than actually installing a
> theme again, I would say the theme selection dropdown is kind of a needed
> element.

We should change the word "install" to "pick". Why should there be a
different UI for re-picking a theme than there is for the initial
pick?

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Caleb Eggensperger<caleb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be nice for the UI for "installing" a theme to be the same as
> for choosing it again. Maybe the themes directory could have an
> "already installed" section, although I think the fact that I've
> installed a theme and moved on to another means I'm less interested in
> using it again.
>
> A dropdown would become kinda unmanageable with a large number of
> themes, unless there's a way to remove them, and not nearly as usable
> as the themes directory is now. What if I can't remember what "legal
> pad" looks like?

Good points!

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 10:13 PM, PhistucK<phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I meant it would be nice as a temporary solution, until a chrome://themes
> page or something comes up.
> And per your wondering - when you mouse over\select a theme with the
> keyboard arrows (but no mouse click, nor Enter key press is made), a preview
> can be shown, or the whole theme can change.
> That would have to make the theme transitioning faster and more fluid, of
> course, but that is the intention anyway, so this could be step one.
> If you do not select a theme at last (clicking otherwise), the theme will
> revert to the one it has been.

I think we should just make the install process more fluid, less "costly".

- a