>> 3) make this be the one exception. I still guess I expect ^L to
>> clobber my selection.
>
> The behavior that Dan implemented is this "make an exception" one --
> with the addition that single-clicking the omnibox also doesn't
> clobber.
>
> ...whoa, the Firefox behavior is even stranger than I thought.  Try
> this one out.
> 1) type google.com in url bar, hit enter
> 2) type text in on-page search box, select it
> 3) middle click in on-page search box (selection pastes as expected)
> 4) select text in on-page search box, hit ^L (url bar selected),
> middle click on text box (originally selected text pastes)
> 5) here's the weird one: now repeat step 4 -- the URL pastes this time!
>
> Maybe the Firefox behavior is too complicated to be worth emulating.
> I know Dan has spent a lot of effort trying to hack around the way the
> system wants to behave by default, which remains to me the most sane
> one.

lol
alright, I concede that point.

Nevertheless, after being enlightened here by both Mike Pinkerton and
Viet-Trung Luu, I guess my dream is that the Linux Omnibox is more
similar to the Mac one than the Windows one. Single click to focus,
multi-click to select all, and yeah, clicking the border to select all
sounds awesome.