On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:48 PM, JT Olds<jto...@xnet5.com> wrote:
>> A lot of webpages highlight stuff without your input (with
>> javascript). Are you sure you want a webpage to be able to clobber
>> your clipboard?
>
> So, I've only really been talking about the Omnibox.
> So, actually, I mean, the more I think about this, the more I think
> yes. Consistency.
>
> I mean, what I'd like to see is the selection buffer is really the
> selection. For the omnibox, I see we're doing lots of crazy stuff with
> the UI, so maybe that's less than feasible, but yeah, I really do
> expect to be able to middle click somewhere on my screen and have
> whatever is selected show up.

Well I think that will confuse the vast majority of users, and will
annoy the hell out of me.

> Peter wrote:
>> It would be better to just not select the text at all (a la Firefox) than to
>> appear to select the text but not update the X primary
>> selection.  If the current behavior becomes intolerable, that is the route
>> I'd go.
>> "Intolerable" is more than just "not how the native controls normally work"
>> -- it's "dramatically interferes with user behavior".
>> That may well be true on Linux.  In that thread, though, we discussed a lot
>> of other alternate methods of pasting in a URL, such
>> as paste-and-go, middle-clicking blank sections of the tabstrip, etc.  I'd
>> want some Linux UI folks to be able to say concretely,
>> "we've lived with this for several weeks, and it's clearly not enough; we
>> need to change."
>
> So, I've lived with this for several weeks, and it's killing me. I'm
> no UI guy, but Chromium has been my default browser since the addition
> of the --enable-plugins feature. Hence the filed ticket. I think the
> current behavior is very near intolerable, as far as single click
> selects all goes.

Well I think that it is superior to firefox because the vast majority
of the time when I click in the address bar I want to select all. When
I want to edit the url I can still click and drag to just select a
portion of it. Reversing our past decisions would leave it in a worse
state for me. So where does that leave us?

I feel that we have been over this more than enough times. If someone
thinks they can make an omnibox that will maintain as much
functionality as we currently have and annoy zero users, then, well,
patches are welcome.