On Aug 20, 2:56 pm, Peter Kasting <pkast...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Adam Barth <aba...@chromium.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM, JT  Olds<jto...@xnet5.com> wrote:
> > > 1) on a single click to the omnibox, the cursor should be placed. The
> > > contents of the omnibox should not be selected.
>
> > We violate this convention on Windows too.

 On windows, this doesn't clobber the X pastebuffer, because Windows
has a different convention for copy&paste. Additionally, highlighting
the URL on windows does not give the user an affordance that the
highlighted text is now in the pastebuffer.  On X, even if you take
special steps to not clobber the pastebuffer when you highlight the
URL,  it still gives the user the affordance that this data is now in
the pastebuffer.

  In short: you break Linux by doing this.

> Yep, and so does every other browser in the universe.  There's a convention
> that a single click in a browser's address bar selects all, so to speak.

  Not true. No mainstream browser on Linux does this.