On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Adam Barth <aba...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Drew Wilson<atwil...@chromium.org> wrote:
> > How will V8 bindings be handled - is it our intention that the burden of
> > creating/maintaining V8 bindings will be shouldered by the WebKit
> community?
>
> This will likely meet with resistance in the WebKit community.
>
> > Or is it expected that the Chromium port buildbot will just go red and
> > chromium team members will step up to write bindings?
>
> I suspect this is what will end up happening, although hopefully
> sympathetic webkit.org contributors will help out too.

When I was gardening, more times than not, I saw people making v8 changes
along side JSC times.  Often they weren't quite right, but people are
trying.  Which is great!

I think it'd be inappropriate (and a land mine!) if we asked people to do
these changes.  But having the bot might help guilt trip them into it.  :-)

 > Or perhaps the
> > Chromium port will just use JS bindings (no V8)?
>
> I think this is trickier than you might think.  Also, it partially
> defeats the point of upstreaming our port if we don't actually use the
> upstream port.  :)

Yes and no.  It might be nice to have a Chromium+JSC and a Chromium+V8 bot.
 I know we (Dimitri, IIRC) were planning on doing this anyway on our own
build infrastructure...why not do it upstream instead?

> > The lack of WebKit trybots is a real obstacle to landing large
> patches/new
> > files currently because I can't easily test the build-side changes on the
> > GTK and Qt ports, and it sounds like that issue will be exacerbated for
> the
> > Chromium port if we use the V8 bindings on the build bot.
>
> This is a large pain-point for a lot of WebKit contributors.  bdash
> has said that he's working on trybots, but they have yet to
> materialize.  I wonder if this is something we could help the WebKit
> community with?

We can probably donate man-power, but I doubt they'll want to take any code
from us (for whatever reason)...though we could always ask.  :-)