On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Eric Seidel <esei...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jor...@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> If it does work, we could definitely let them know it's an option for
>> those who might want to.  We'd have to phrase it delicately though.  They're
>> generally quite allergic to us even coming _close_ to pushing
>> our infrastructure on them.
>>

> Google has it's own fair dose of "not invented here". :)

True.

> WebKit has been quite receptive of the recent script additions we've made,
> including check-webkit-style (originally cpplint.py) which was entirely
> Google code.  The entire commit-queue architecture they're now using was
> written by Google employed WebKit contributers (myself, Adam Barth and Dave
> Levin).
>
> I don't mean to pick a fight, but I just don't think this should be a we
> vs. they argument.  Google employs 4 WebKit reviewers (myself, Adam Barth,
> Dimitri Glazkov and Darin Fisher).  Reviewers tend to make the decisions in
> WebKit land.  Furthermore, Apple tends to follow the saying "code wins",
> meaning: given two ideas, one of which is coded and the other which is not
> the coded one wins. :)  If a Googler produces functioning WebKit try bots,
> the WebKit community certainly isn't going to turn them down.

I hope your right.  I'm not convinced this is a given though.

>  I think Google employed WebKit contributers should feel full license to
> set up try bots integrated with WebKit's buildbot.  I think Googlers should
> also feel welcome to augment/replace parts of WebKit's buildbot architecture
> with our improved versions from build.webkit.org.

This has not always been true in the past.  I think we (people working on
Chromium) made a good effort to help bring real code review infrastructure
to WebKit and that was a disaster (though maybe I don't know the full story
and we were in the wrong).

I agree that things are getting better, but I don't think the picture is
quite as rosy as you paint it.  (And I know many who think I paint the
picture rosier than it actually is.)