On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Nicolas Sylvain <nsylv...@chromium.org>wrote:

> Oh, and, if your change turned the tree red for 3 hours, don't be mad at
> the sheriff when he pings
> you repeatedly about the status of the fix.  His job is to keep the tree
> green and running. He does
> not care about your change.
>
> Thoughts?

Generally when this happens it's not the webkit gardener's change that has
broken everything--it's an upstream change (usually by someone working on
chromium, though not always).  Since we are committed to taking all upstream
webkit changes, and webkit continues to roll along while we clean up the
damage, the webkit gardener's only choice is "roll now or roll later".  If
the canary is red, "roll later" just means that more breakage will pile up
behind it.

Jeremy and Dmitry have covered most of what I was going to say; I agree that
the real solution is to keep pedaling hard to finish the webkit API.  Until
we do that, all we're doing is to rearranging the pain, not reducing it.

--Amanda