We did test it in the lab, though we focused on new users who seemed to like
it. We also looked at stats which indicated that the Most visited and
Recently closed items were the only things that were actually used. The few
people who used Recent bookmarks and Searches have been vocal, but we know
there weren't many of them.
We are also listening to user support (Alice tells us that feedback is mixed
between love it an hate it). A more in-depth user support report is coming
soon.

We expect to continue trying to improve the NTP, so feedback is definitely
welcome.

-Brian