On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Thomas Van Lenten <thoma...@chromium.org>wrote:

> At times, we seem to forget the impact of our silent updates.  They are
> great for bug/security fixes, but when we do roll out something like NNTP,
> it can lead to a 'WTF' moment.  For future changes like this, it might make
> sense to put in messaging for the upgrade so the users get lead through the
> transition instead of their routine suddenly changing on them.

All software, and all browsers, change their UI and capabilities as they
release new versions.  Look at how Firefox 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 all had
different main window themes (and not just cosmetically; they moved pieces
around and changed the UX).  It's not like there was a "--use_2_0_theme"
switch when 3.0 released.

Users complain about anything that changes.  This is why user complaints
should be an input, but not a hugely-weighted one.

PK