On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Evan Martin <e...@chromium.org> wrote:

>>> I'm not sure if you're kidding.  Do you mean Windows calculator?
>>
>> On my home linux box (Jaunty, reasonably fast),
>> warm startup time of chrome is less
>> than the warm startup time of gnome calculator.
>> Strange but true.
>
> Yeah, that's why I was asking -- it wouldn't surprise me if we were
> faster than the GNOME one.  Without any numbers I'd blame the icon
> theme stuff (Elliot found it can do a truly ludicrous number of disk
> accesses on startup).

Here's an experiment: Set Options > Personal Stuff > Use GTK+ Theme.
Close chrome. Now try another warm start of chrome. Is it still faster
than gnome calculator? If not, it's because you were using the classic
chrome theme, which doesn't have to warm up GTK's *per process* icon
cache. strace gnome-calculator and watch the output for reading
directories and files with "icons" in them and be blown away by the
amount of work done.

-- Elliot