Jens Alfke wrote:
> How much would that increase memory use? (says the guy on the Memory task
> force...) I.e. what's the RPRVT of a warmed-up renderer process?

Does it matter?  At least for the startup case, that's a renderer we
know we'll need anyway.

You could use this argument to shoot down keeping a spare warmed-up
renderer ready to go at other times, but I don't think it's relevant
to the startup case.

> If bringing up the first renderer is CPU-bound, that would be a great idea.
> If it's disk-bound, then it could have a negative effect on launch time. Do
> we have profiles/samples of renderer launch, both warm and cold?

I suspect that most (but not all) of the stuff that the renderer needs
to read to warm itself up will already be in the buffer cache.  The
renderer shouldn't be doing much writing.  But we could profile it.

Mark