On Oct 28, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Mark Mentovai wrote:

> My proposal is to fork a new process, exec the renderer, and then let
> it bring itself up.  That's exactly how we start renderers now.  The
> only difference is that I'm suggesting we should always keep a spare
> one warmed up and ready to go,

How much would that increase memory use? (says the guy on the Memory
task force...) I.e. what's the RPRVT of a warmed-up renderer process?

> and we should start the initial one
> sooner instead of waiting for something in the browser to say "um, I'm
> gonna need a renderer."  We can pretty much guarantee that we'll
> always need a renderer, let's give it a head start.

If bringing up the first renderer is CPU-bound, that would be a great
idea. If it's disk-bound, then it could have a negative effect on
launch time. Do we have profiles/samples of renderer launch, both warm
and cold?

—Jens