On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Jens Alfke <s...@google.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to continue a forked process on
> OS X if it uses any higher-level (above POSIX) APIs.

Nothing says we have to use fork().  Always having a renderer process
started and waiting for instructions could also be done via other
mechanisms.  The same issue affects plugin startup time (e.g., Flash, i.e.,
YouTube :-)).

I would expect that rendering speed would suffer somewhat due to the
> extra layer of pixel buffering incurred by Chrome's renderers. Has
> anyone experimented with giving the renderer access to a child window
> of the browser to allow it to draw more directly?

There are no public APIs for cross-process child window rendering or
grouping.  10.6 introduces IOSurface, which is roughly speaking a shared GPU
texture, which could be useful once the renderer is GPU accelerated.

We could of course use private APIs, but it would be nice to avoid that at
least for 10.6 and above.

--Amanda