On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Matt Perry <mpcompl...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:14 PM, John Abd-El-Malek <j...@chromium.org>wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Tony Chang <t...@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>>> For reasons unknown to me, this line jumped back up. It seems it's
>>> because of Matt's revert:
>>> http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?view=rev&revision=32524
>>>
>>> This is a startup test, so it basically times how long it takes for
>>> LaunchApp to return.  Maybe the methodology here is a bit off?
>>>

>> Yeah, I think New Tab tests are more important, since they measure what
>> the user sees, not when internal APIs are called. In the case of the above
>> change by Matt, New Tab Cold hasn't changed so I think it's fine to ignore
>> the rise.
>> http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/perf/linux-release-hardy/new-tab-ui-cold/report.html?history=150
>>

> New Tab hasn't changed because none of those tests load any extensions.
> Maybe we should add some.

good point, thanks for the explanation.

I think your change will improve the user-visible response time even if this
particular test shows a drop in perf.  If I'm reading your change correctly,
things have to be faster since the process creation on the launcher thread
is kicked off earlier (instead of after a PostTask to the UI thread).