On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:20 PM, John Abd-El-Malek <j...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Matt Perry <mpcompl...@chromium.org>wrote:

>>> Yeah, I think New Tab tests are more important, since they measure what
>>> the user sees, not when internal APIs are called. In the case of the above
>>> change by Matt, New Tab Cold hasn't changed so I think it's fine to ignore
>>> the rise.
>>> http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/perf/linux-release-hardy/new-tab-ui-cold/report.html?history=150
>>>

>> New Tab hasn't changed because none of those tests load any extensions.
>> Maybe we should add some.
>>

> good point, thanks for the explanation.
>
> I think your change will improve the user-visible response time even if
> this particular test shows a drop in perf.  If I'm reading your change
> correctly, things have to be faster since the process creation on the
> launcher thread is kicked off earlier (instead of after a PostTask to the UI
> thread).

Yes, but the point of the PostTask in the first place was to defer extension
load - they're not essential processes, so they don't need to slow down
startup. If postponing them until after the UI thread settles down improves
user perceived startup time, then we should do that.

That said, I think I'm going to revert my change. If nothing else, it'll
bring the extension startup test time back to normal so we can see
regressions better.