On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Evan Martin <e...@chromium.org> wrote:

> You must use switches for a pretty common pattern ("separate profile
> that goes through my work proxy") and I believe that's been wontfixed
> in the past, so I'm not entirely unsympathetic to Mohamed's
> suggestion, but I think Peter is right in principle.

The proxy case is definitely a case where it affects a small number of
people but is a real need for that group.

My impression is that on Mac this is less of an issue because you can set up
separate Locations in the network settings (?).  On Windows, though, you're
stuck with command-line options.  I wish I had an elegant solution for this
that wasn't Firefox' "my network settings are entirely divorced from the
rest of your system".

I would hesitantly support some sort of network settings dialog that by
default is all dimmed out with a checked checkbox at the top saying "use
system settings".  Don't know that I could convince the UI leads to go for
that, though.

PK