On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Mohamed Mansour
<m0.interact...@gmail.com>wrote:

> The options that many people tend to use that I have seen in the forums are
> (or group of people that is):
>  --incognito (they always want to browse invincible)

We definitely don't want to encourage this one, because it breaks so many
parts of Chrome's UI, most notably the Omnibox (which will have no inline
autocompletion, no search or URL history, and no suggest or navsuggest).  My
claim is that the majority of people who use this don't understand the true
impact.

 --bookmark-menu (many use this because they want a cleaner UI with no
> bookmark bar)

This is a case where the option ought to disappear and we ought to decide
what to do with the implementation.  We should never have major UI
components that are under command-line switches long-term.  EIther they
should graduate to full inclusion in some form or we should decide they
failed.

It would be nice if the UI leads got together with sky and decided on a
permanent course of action for this one.

 --user-dir (some people want to change the location instead of the default)

I'd like to understand better the discrete needs of these users.  For
example, do they want to run multiple different Chrome profiles?  Are they
trying to make Chrome portable, or back up its settings on a network?  Are
they looking for a system-wide install?  etc.  If we understand these, maybe
there is something we can do to help.  For example, the multi-profile case
is something we've looked at various times in the past.

PK