Hello.  I just recently discovered that there was a method for regular
people to develop themes for Google Chrome, a concept which
immediately grasped my attention.

However, after going through the docs and doing variously worded
Google searches, I'm very lost.

The general method, according to Google Search, is to hack the DLL to
force in various PNG files.  That's no good.

The method, listed here:  http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/themes.html
is much saner.  But even then, it kinda seems to assume that I already
know Chrome internals, and already know how the different pieces fit
together.  Which I don't.

I've also been unable to find a "reference" theme that I could use as
a basis for the theme that sits in my head.

Have I just missed such a "Hello, World!" theme?  What I mean is,
perhaps, a zip file containing reference images which can be used as a
base for creating real Honest-To-Google theme images for Chrome?  Or
at least an "exploded" view of the Google Chrome theme, so that I can
think "OK, I want to replace the image behind the tabs" and know
exactly what image to change?

For round one, I'd like to change the image behind the tabs, and
change the background image behind the New Tab "speed dial" boxes.
How would I go about finding what files to make, how big to make them,
etc?

Thanks for your time.