Indeed it could disrupt the user.

My method of choice would have been to just parse the atom feed
generated by Gmail, which uses simple URL authentication allowing me
to receive a specific users unread items. Unfortunately, whenever a
user is logged in to Gmail the feed URL automatically redirects to
that account's feed, ignoring the authentication and removing the
possibility to access multiple accounts.

Another approach that I have tried is aggregating the feed via a PHP
IMAP script. This works pretty well but I don't think people would
like the idea of sending their username and password off to some
external non-Google site (and I wouldn't want to be the one hosting
that script considering the number of requests and amount of data
transferred).

A third approach would be to just do a sort of proxy for the Gmail
feed, so that it doesn't recognize that a user is logged in on the
accessing client. My web host doesn't allow external file access so
that method was also scrapped (dito on the username / password issue).

So it came down to this last attempt involving storing and modifying
cookies, just like the Gmail Manager add-on for Firefox does. But I'm
no good at the NPAPI (or C++ for that matter) so I agree that an easy-
to-use JS API would be very helpful for me. I guess my users will have
to make do with single-account functionality for now! :)

Thanks for your effort,
Anders