@lynn f, Chrome 3.0.195.33 is the correct, current stable build of
Chrome.  Extensions do not work yet in Chrome 3.x builds.

Extensions are in final beta testing on the Chrome 4.x Dev channel.
If you're currently not subscribed to the dev channel, you might want
to consider taking a look.  Information about subscribing to the dev
channel is here:
   http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel