I'm having this same issue. I can't manage to cause a window to focus.
Using executeScript with that causes a security error, even though my
manifest says :

"matches": ["http://*/*";, "https://*/*";, "file:///*", "ftp://*/*";],

Now I'm sending a message to a specific tab with
chrome.tabs.sendRequest and this results in an untraceable error,
covered by this issue:

TypeError
arguments: Array
message: "Cannot read property 'focus' of undefined"
stack: "TypeError: Cannot read property 'focus' of undefined at
chrome-
extension://iiblabjehfmonfbnnkmbh…"
type: "non_object_property_load"

I'll see if I can isolate it more.