Try removing the asterisk in the end of the domain, it is not a regular
match pattern, so there is no need for it.
(Keep chromium-extensions as a recipient, please.)

You said you received a "strange error", you meant a strange behavior (an
empty responseText) or a strange JavaScript error?
If it is indeed a strange error, please, paste it in your reply.

And I just looked at your code more carefully - you cannot get the
responseText if the readyState is not 4. I know this should not be the
situation, but try putting the "var output = httpRequest.responseText;"
after the readyState assertion.

☆PhistucK