*(Please, keep chorimum-extensions in the CC field or hit "Reply to all".)*

You can use the developer tools (Ctrl+Shift+J) or go to chrome://extensions
and inspect your extension (in case this is happening in the background
page).
Go to the "Resources" tab and (after you enable resource tracking) look at
the added entry for the URL you just tried to fetch through XMLHttpRequest.
It should be there and you can check its request headers, response headers
and its content. See if something is wrong there, if there is content.

☆PhistucK