No, this is not a bug.

I never said that removing the registry key would remove state=2 from the
Preferences file. That's not how it works.

You are adding the extra step (step 3) of uninstalling the extension *as a
user* before uninstalling it through the registry.

Skip step 3 and the extension should uninstall if you remove the key from
the registry.

But (since you already have state=2), first remove your extension entry from
the Preferences file and perform step 1 and 2 and then 4 and 5 (form your
instructions above) and you'll see the extension install and uninstall from
Chrome.