This question may be slightly involved but let me first provide the
context.

The extension is a toolbar like the StumbleUpon toolbar. My background
page gets a JS file which constructs a an iframe (with PHP source) to
be appended to the top of the page. The background page then passes
this script to the content script and the content script embeds the JS
file script into the page. At this point you can see the toolbar at
the top of the page. Now the challenge is modifying fields on the new
toolbar.

I'm curious where I should do this from or if it is possible. after
appending the the script to the page in my content script I try to do
document.getElementById() but get null. when and from where will the
newly added iframe be available via DOM access? Please let me know if
there is anything I can clarify here. Any help is much appreciated!!
Thanks.