Whether "Churchill's Secret", broadcast in the USA last night, was riveting
television I leave to the critics. But that it was historically inaccurate at
one important point there is no doubt. Lindsay Duncan's beautifully acted
television version of Clemmie as a wife competing with his political career for
his time and attention has no relation to the real-life version. Clementine
Churchill, as I point out in my review of Sonia Purnell's biography of
Clementine Churchill, was no whining woman at odds with her husband's political
life. In fact, Clemmie was a full partner in his political career, entertaining
politicians and military figures when he was away in the trenches in WWI. And
as any fair reading of their voluminous correspondence shows, offering wise
advice to the often impetuous-Winston, advice that prolonged his career. Not
only was she a full partner in his work, she had a full and rich life of her
own, witness her fund-raising work for the Red Cross's Aid to the Soviet Union.
Kudos to Ms. Duncan, and don't blame her for being asked to portray the fiction
of a novelist's imagination.

Cita Stelzer

Cita Stelzer

Please note new email address: