Stan..

I am surprised to hear that the author made any attempt to refer to 'concern
for historical accuracy' when referring to a work of fiction.

One thing I can reliably comment on, whilst trusting I'm not saying something I
shouldn't, is that if a glass case containing butterflies was featured, then it
wasn't, and isn't actually at Chartwell!!

The truth of the matter is that the film was shot, if I recall correctly in
July 2015. The House was not closed to visitors during the three or four days
over which the location shots were taken, meaning that there was no opportunity
to set up rooms for filming between the hours of 10 and 5, so the only filming
of the front of the House and internally that could be fitted in was carried
out in the late afternoon and early evening. As a consequence, the only
internal shots that are actually of Chartwell itself are of the entrance hall.
All the rest were carefully and, in my view, very accurately constructed sets.
I was certainly taken in myself by the general accuracy of the Study, where it
is claimed his bed was moved to. As some may know it was the case that Sir
Winston originally had his bed in the Study when the 'Nursery Wing' was being
used for that purpose. At some point in the mid-30s, we think, by which time
Mary had moved to her second-floor teenage bedroom, Sir Winston decided to
knock through the right-hand side of the Study in to what was originally the
Nursery Day Room and convert that in to a proper bedroom, together with an
en-suite bathroom located in the gable-end section at the front of the House.

I hope this is of interest.

David Riddle
Sent from my iPhone