From: Dave Turrell
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2017 2:17 AM
To: churchillchat@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [ChurchillChat] Churchill's last London home : thanks

Richard is modest, as always, regarding the enormous contribution he made in making this material available to the Churchill community. I have a copy of this reproduction and it is of excellent quality. Sixteen pages and eleven illustrations. The auction for the freehold was held on 28th October 1965. A quick google yields little on the results. Does anyone know what the properties (27 was bundled in with 28) fetched?

I paid a visit to Hyde Park Gate somewhere around 1997, and got there at a time when the property was undergoing extensive renovation. The front door of 28 was wide open, with a builder’s van parked outside – and clearly nobody in residence. Alas, I lacked the courage to ask (bribe) the builder for a quick peek around. I would have loved to have been able to look through the window where the iconic 90th birthday image was taken – from the inside.

Dave