http://www.google.com/search?q=australia+opium
http://www.marathon.uwc.edu/political_science/opiumprod.html
"With over-production of licit opium by Turkey and Australia (which is
technically not permitted to grow poppy under international conventions), India
reduced its licensed acreage from 63,000 to 11,000 hectares."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8118257.stm
(June 25 stoned wallabies story)
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/08/news/08iht-poppy.t.html
"Australia is arguing that it should be given better access to the U.S.
market...Australia, which started its commercial opium poppy industry in 1970,
is already the world's largest legal producer"
http://www.abc.net.au/ra/innovations/stories/s2443748.htm
"for 20 years was the world's biggest poppy producer until 2004 when it was
overtaken by France"
We're investigating a very exciting crop for us which is called Papaver
bracteatum. So the normal poppy that is grown around the world is called
Papaver somniferum and that's an annual crop. With this crop we're doing some
trial work on is a perennial crop. So we plant this once and we expect to get
three to four years out of the crop. It has benefits to farmers in that it's a
more robust poppy species and you don't have the risk of germination each year
once it's established.

The other key difference between this poppy and the normal poppy is whilst the
normal poppy Papaver somniferum is very high in morphine. This poppy does not
have any morphine at all in it. It is high in a different alkaloid called
thebane. And since the early 90s, thebane has been commercially of interest as
it's used for a lot of the other products for pain relief such as Oxicodone.

But also interestingly, a lot of the products that are actually used for opiate
substitution treatments, such as Bupremorphine, Naloxone and Naltrexone are
other products that are obtained from thebane. And this poppy is a very
high-yielding thebane, much higher than the standard poppies which are either
genetically altered or they are sprayed with treatments to change them, from
producing morphine to producing thebane. These plants do it naturally so we're
very excited about this and think there is enormous potential for us and also
the farmers that grow with this.
A mystery solved « Waterloo Idler
6 hours ago by Gavin
Anyway, what the Australian farmers on Tasmania have found is that wallabies
occasionally get in to the opium fields and eat the poppies. Apparently after a
while they begin to act strangely and hop around in circles before falling down
http://preacher35.wordpress.com/
Mystery Solved: Blame "trippy Skippy" « Randomness and Waffle
14 hours ago by Ali
Australian wallabies are eating opium poppies and creating crop circles as they
hop around "as high as a kite", a government official has said. Lara Giddings,
the attorney general for the island state of Tasmania, said the kangaroo-like
http://randomnessandwaffle.wordpress.com/
Deepen the Conversation: Black Opium Symposium
12-3-2009 by i...@qtix.com.au (qtix Box Office)
Black Opium Symposium A groundbreaking book inspired one of Australia's most
distinguished indigenous artists, Fiona Foley, to create a complex, powerful
and immersive public artwork: Black Opium. After reading Rosalind Kidd's.
http://www.qtix.com.au/rss/index.aspx
Sustaining opium reduction in Southeast Asia | Australian Policy ...
8-16-2009 by paitken
17 August 2009Since 1998 opium production in Southeast Asia has declined by
some 67% from 1437 tons in 1998 to 469 tons in 2007. The area under cultivation
has also declined by over 80% from 158230 hectares to 29200 hectares during the
http://apo.org.au/
'Stoned wallabies make crop circles' — My Blog
6 hours ago by admin
-like marsupials were getting into poppy fields grown for medicine. She was
reporting to a parliamentary hearing on security for poppy crops. Australia
supplies about 50% of the world's legally-grown opium used to make morphine ...
http://www.thesharingparadise.com/