We're currently planning to replace our file service infrastructure
(based on 2 Sun Fire V880 running Solaris 9 resp. 10 and providing NFS
and CIFS service using Samba 3.4.3 to 600+ clients) with something more
performant and featureful.

We thought about going the appliance route (i.e. Storage 7000 or
NetApp).  While our current preference is a cluster of S7410, we've run
into a problem which may become a showstopper:

To authenticate the windows clients, we currently use NT 4.0 domain
authentication, and don't run AD.  While this works with Samba
(obviously), the OpenSolaris CIFS server doesn't currently support
this.  The only reference I've found is in a slide deck by Alan Wright

        http://blogs.sun.com/amw/resource/cifs_09_27_2007.pdf

which mentions NT 4.0 domain support on p.12 (SMB/CIFS Roadmap (post
putback)).  I haven't heard anything about this since and would like to
know if either this is still planned (or rather, being worked on), or
which workarounds could be used.

Running Samba on some frontend machine which NFS mounts the data from
the filer and re-exports it via CIFS might be a stopgap measure, but
isn't a feasible mid-term solution.

I don't see us running AD even in the mid-term (we're almost exclusively
a Unix shop), and Samba 4 seems to be alpha quality at best right now.

The NetApp filer we tried supported this out of the box.

Thanks.
        Rainer