Claude,

Gentoo is a sometimes funny thing.  The main reason I went with it is that it allows for full native 64-bit support, because you build *everything* on the box.  This can be a nuisance, but the support forums are excellent the portage system for package downloading and building is very good.

The 64-bit thing is less an issue now; lots of distros are providing full 64bit support.

Have a look around at http://www.gentoo.org.   Lots of documentation, very active forums, and constant updating of released packages, and special projects like the 64-bit team.

A perfect platform?  No.  But my most of my issues have been architecture rather than distro related (e.g. no flash plugin for browsers, which can serve to be quite annoying).

I am dual booting -- some things I just need to do on Windows/XP.   64 Windows -- not worth the trouble when I tried it -- ran like a dog.  Haven't checked back on it recently.

So, Gentoo?  I think very highly of it.  Probably more mucking around than something like Mandriva, but it gives me my little techie fix from time to time and works nicely.

Ciao,

marks

On 2/5/06, Claude Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Saturday 04 February 2006 6:36 pm, mark stavar wrote:
> On 2/5/06, Claude Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I know this may be too general a question, but, I'm wondering if the
> > developers and/or power-users on this list have a preferred distro for
> > running Cinelerra on? Sometimes, obvious answers fail for lack of the
> > question ;-)
> > --
>
> Gentoo (AMD-64)

I'd seen some oblique references to Gentoo over the months I've been
subscribed, here. I'm downloading a Gentoo distro as I type, actually. Is
Gentoo a personal preference as a distro, or do you find it plays best with
Cinelerra? Right now, AMD-64 is not in my budget, so I'm running on a P4 3.0
with 2 GB ram.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA