On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:45:23 +0200, Pierre Marc Dumuid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I discoved that this is for the meter only, and the minimum that cinelerra forces to -Inf dB is -40 dB!! See cinelerra/virtualanode.C which contains:
if(fade_value <= INFINITYGAIN) fade_value = 0;

and INFINITYGAIN is defined in guicast/units.h as:
#define INFINITYGAIN -40
Prior to discussions with j6t on IRC, I had been considering setting the "INFINITYGAIN" as a property of the current project (thus 24 bit audio freaks could specify huge attenuations).

 I would like to know, with reference to authoritative sources, what the
canonical dynamic range for 24 bits sampling is.  Is it linear, like 16bit?

--
Herman Robak