Ok.. I really don't like this modification. I hate having to hold the shift down.
I work with selection more than anything else...

Andraz,
Isn't your patch making the default mode "drag and drop" and modify the functionality of dragging on the time-bar, or pressing the shift key to turn selectionabilty mode on. (i.e. creating extra effort for every attempt to use selection style editing)

Why not bring the modes back, but make the default "drag and drop" if you like, and add keep the modifiers there. That way when you teach newbies, you can place it in the "drag and drop" mode and leave it there for them. You could even lock it to not be switchable in the preferences..

Failing that, I'll have to use a personal branch of cinelerra at all times for my own use..

Pierre