Hi Stian,

Stian =?iso-8859-15?q?R=F8dven_Eide?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Istanbul is a Free program for making Theora videos of a desktop session.
>
> It can be found in most distros repositories or downloaded from the
> GNOME=20
> website: http://live.gnome.org/Istanbul
>
> Upon searching for the website I also found a tutorial on the Fedora
> Wiki:=
> =20
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ScreenCasting

Interesting. The big question is if Ogg Thera video format is cross OS
platform and video players compatible?

A look in *Scott Frase's* "Beginners guide to exporting video from
Cinelerra" might sound that Quicktime MPEG-4 and H.264 are the most
usuable formats(?)

> Use of flash is discouraged for the following reasons:
> * Flash format is proprietary and Fedora uses and supports open=20
> specifications and formats.=20
> * Free and Open Source Flash players and plugins such as GPLFlash and
> swfd=
> ec=20
> do not provide all the required functionality or features.=20
> * Flash plugins or players are not available in all architectures
> provided=
> by=20
> =46edora such as x86_64 or ppc.=20
> * Ogg Theora is a open source codec and works out of the box in Fedora=20
> without any third party components.

While Flash isn't an open standard it is widely used on the web.
However, that x86_64 plugins still lacks is a more serious problem, as I
understand Cinelerra works best on this architecture which also sounds
to be a requirement for editing HDV.

Terje