On Fri August 10 2007, mark carter wrote:
> * what file formats do the "pros" use? Is there a wide range, or is the
> scope restricted?

I can speak to this question, but not really answer it. I operate a studio in
Northern Virginia near Washington, DC. I edit principally on two platforms,
DPS Velocity and Sony Vegas. The Velocity is a real real time hardware board
with the capability to handle two video streams of extremely high quality,
and two graphics busses, all in real time (it can handle much more but once
you exceed the real time capabilities, it renders); it has 3D DVE processor,
and can handle single transitions in real time - it has a huge library of
transitions built in, all of which are key-framable, and can have all
parameters tweaked; that hardware card encodes to mjpeg -- it can encode at
all sorts of compression levels and goes all the way up to uncompressed; the
Sony Vegas workstation is completely different - it will handle any codec I
have installed on my machine, with a very few exceptions. Final Cut Pro uses
Quicktime wrappers and can handle codecs that are installed on the machine.

In other words, just in the limited part of the professional world in which I
dwell, there are multiple formats in use. There's also MX, DVCPro (various
flavors), HDCam, XDCam, BetaSX and on and on -- what I'm saying is that there
is no small set of formats in use by pros -- there are many out there, and
interoperation between them is a battle we have to contend with every day.

Sony Vegas is a software only NLE, and Cinelerra is loosely following the same
model - meaning, that it handles multiple formats and seems to be heading
towards more -- from my perspective, in the world I have to operate in, I
think that's a good thing. Proxy file editing is a good thing, but, just
being able to throw a bunch of different files on a timeline and let the
software figure it out in render is extremely important as well. Different
projects have different requirements.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA