leandro ribeiro wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> When I switched to Linux I dedicated myself a little bit to knowing
> the OS. At the present moment, I just want to use it to get some work
> done and stop tweeking with config files. I was installing Linux Mint
> in my wife's computer (she still lived in a Windows box) and kind of
> fell in love with it: it's easy, clean and out-of-the-box functional.
> OpenSuse 11.0 is a bit over the top and was getting me tired, so I
> thought I would change myself to Linux Mint also.
>
> But then I read a forum about Linux Mint not having a Realtime or Low
> Latency kernel, and that such thing would be of interest to any
> video/audio editor. It seams Ubuntu Studio comes compiled with such
> kernel.
>
> So my questions are: is Linux Mint a bad choice to run Cinelerra (and
> other video editing software)? Is Ubuntu Studio a good choice? What on
> earth is a Low Latency or Realtime kernel and why should I cross the
> street to say hello to it?
>
> Thanks :)
> Leandro

I would go so far as to say it doesn't matter here.

I would say go for something Ubuntu based only because there's alot of
focus to get working packages there. Like akirad's repo.

You could use Studio as a base and not select the other tasks on install
and add what you want later. That will give you a very slim base. This
all depends on your use-case.

-Cory K.