leandro ribeiro schrieb:
> So my questions are: ... What on earth is a Low Latency or Realtime
> kernel and why should I cross the street to say hello to it?

Hi Leandro,

as the previous posters already pointed out: you don't need a RT kernel
for video work and esp. for Cinelerra.

To fill in some informations:
By "latency" we denote the time the system needs to react. For example,
when an event (like a keypress) or an input signal has to trigger some
reaction. Contrary to analogue systems, where latency is mostly limited
by the bounds of physics, digital systems do programmatic processing
of signals and events. Thus we need to store the data into a buffer,
process it and then send it out again. Here, the size of this buffer
is the factor determining the latency of the system.

So, ideally you want to make the buffers as small as possible, but
your system needs to be fast enough to cope with such small buffers.
While basically most modern systems are fast enough, the problem is
rather that the typical operating system kernel was not designed
for such operation; just as the system events come in, the kernel
may spent some irregular amount of time to handle its internal
bookkeeping duties, e.g. organizing the files on disk. Because,
for normal desktop use, it doesn't matter if there is a delay of
50ms. Sadly enough, for audio work, when there is possibly
sometimes a pause of 50ms caused by the kernel organizing internal
stuff, this would force us to make the buffers large enough
to cover this gap, which would mean we get a latency > 50ms.
But a delay of even 20ms is a problem when playing music.

Thus, Ingo Molnar and other Kernel Hackers started a series of
patches reworking the kernel infrastructure such as to make most
kernel operations interruptible on a small time scale. Parts of
this work have been accepted into the mainstream kernel, while
other parts can cause stability and/or security problems and
are deemed experimental.
Generally speaking, reducing the /latency/ of operations within
the kernel doesn't come for free, it slightly /reduces/ the
throughput, i.e. the bare speed of the system. So, generally
it's a tradeoff: do you need maximum speed, or do you need
the system to reliably react within a certain timespan?

Because all of this is complicated stuff and not every realtime
patched kernel version is equaly usable in practice, you should
always rely on the pre-built RT-kernel images which are provided
by specialized distros like "Ubuntu studio" or "64 Studio"

Cheers
Hermann V.