On Tuesday 03 March 2009 12:14:52 John Detwiler wrote:
> Ron,
>
> That's good to hear.
>
> My big question, still outstanding, is: "HOW do we control the size/rate of
> those .mpgs?"
>
> I believe that neither dvdauthor or dvdstyler will add much overhead, nor
> should they make the .mpgs any more compact. But, when rendering in
> Cinelerra, and when combining in ffmpeg, the only parameter that seems to
> bear upon size and bit-rate would be the -target option.
>
> Do you use something different from '-target ntsc-dvd' ??
>
> (BTW: For Cinelerra rendering, I use the ffmpeg pipe:  "ffmpeg -f
> yuv4mpegpipe -i - -y -target dvd -flags +ilme+ildct %")
>
> Unless you (somebody) have applicable experience, I guess I'll just futz
> with the ffmpeg parameters to see what happens.

John,
I render the audio to an ac3 file and the video using the ffmpeg pipe you show
above.  It
gives me good results.
I then use :" ffmpeg -i foo.ac3 -i foo.m2v -target ntsc-dvd foo.mpg" to combine
the two
files. I take the default settings for target type ntsc-dvd, no specific bit
rate, frame
size, etc.  They seem to work pretty good with the video I shoot with my
camcorder.

I've been playing with cinelerra now for about a year or so.  I've done a
couple of dvds of
video I shot of my grandkids, my friends wedding etc. I usually create a couple
files for
each project since they tend to be birthday parties, kids plays, etc usually no
more than
about 45 minutes.  I store the completed files until I have enough to create a
dvd - sort
of a video photo album of the events.

Using dvdstyler, I can combine a several titles on one dvd with  a menu - works
great. I
realize this isn't a dvdstyler group, so I won't go into details.

I found I had to rethink a lot of things from the way I did them in Windoze
using
Pinnacle - I was used to an integrated environment.   I'm pleased with the
results and the
people I've made the discs for seem to be impressed with the results,too.

BTW I'm using cinelerra CV running on openSuSe 11.0, KDE 3.5.10.  I'm not sure
what
platform your using, but I believe dvdstyler, k3b and k9copy are available for
all the
major ones.

I'm an over the road trucker, so I don't get to play with it as often as I
would like.
It's a very powerful program and I know I have a lot to learn about what it can
do.

Regards,
Ron
--
Shouldn't the cosmic stupidity hopper be empty by now?