Hermann, I used up a lot of time trying to fix the problem. I finally deleted the session and tried again, Cinelerra was still crashing on start up. I had loaded Cinecutie just to see what it is all about. I don't know what other problems it may have but it doesn't crash when you load a corrupted file so i am doing the vidio in it. It won't run the corrupted files. It is a shame they seem to be trying to fork off into another program they seem to have made an improvement that might have been nice in Cinelerra. Of course that assumes it would fit in with Cinelerra's future plans. I reinstalled Cinelerra and it starts and runs but I am not using iton this vidio. I had all the vidio clips on the hard drive so I put them on the time-line and now am very near finished with the video after editing and adding new wav sound files. I learned a lesson here. It took about 30 minutes to reinstall Cinelerra and would have taken only a couple hours to reload files. I wasted a whole day trying to fix the problem. I won't do that again with my present Linux knowledge I will reinstall and go back to work. The good news in all this is I have learned some things in trying to fix the problem. I have saved the corrupted mp3 files and when I finish this vidio I will use them to try and crash Cinelerra again. I also saved yours and the other the replies to my post. Then I will see if I can fix the problem when I have more time. Doug