> Op 27-12-11 16:10, Herman Robak schreef:
>> For the benefit of proxy editing, AND multi-angle DVDs, AND 3D video, I
>> think support for multi-track video would be neat. Track folding or hiding
>> would enhance the usability, and track grouping/locking would be even more
>> critical. Can it be done?

yes, it can be done, for sure. It isn't even *really* difficult :-D
Rather just a little bit involved.

Please excuse when I'm chiming in here. In the Lumiera project
we're working against those kind of targets now since several years.
We started exactly the same way as you do now: starting with what
Cinelerra can, conceptually, and then dreaming how it should be extended
and combined in order to be really useful and more exciting....

The surprising thing is: it isn't really difficult, technically.
Yet there seems to be something we're running against, almost like
a sonic wall: The most shocking absence of people able and willing
(or willing and able) to work towards any even quite simplistic
goal for more than just a single afternoon.

We've seen lots and lots and lots of excited people, and heard and
collected lots and lots and lots of good proposals. But seemingly
99.9999999% of them seem to flounder at the first tiny little bumps
on the road, like combining two slightly contradictory pieces of
example code into something that passes the compiler and works.

Of course, we can't really complain, because OpenSource is voluntary.

Am 27.12.2011 18:00, schrieb Stefan de Konink:
> To do this properly also multiple preview windows would be 'required' to do
> anything useful, Some form of A-B editing not yet present is Cinelerra.

Interesting question closely related: how can we control those multiple
viewer windows with the keyboard? Most existing user interfaces seem to
assume a hard wired number of viewers (namely two) and a hard wired number
of video and audio channels and then just assign some keyboard shortcuts.

Any Ideas how we could handle more player/viewer windows than three
are good keyboard shortcuts available? (relate that to Cinelerra: those
9 keys on the numpad are really great for controlling a single player)

> Maybe the first target could be: - create a player that gives a visual
> preview (in a lower resolution) of all video-tracks

> Next target: - Allow audio tracks to be (hard) attached to videotracks

shouldn't that rather work on the base of individual clips? since clips
or groups of clips are the building blocks we're using most frequently
when editing?

Cheers,
Hermann V.