På Sun, 22 Jan 2012 11:02:35 +0100, skrev Michal Fapso <michal.fa...@gmail.com>:

Thanks for your comments, Hermann.

It seems to me that using only float RGBA color model would be quite a
good solution. Plugins would become simpler and should behave
coherently for any videos and precision should be also fine.

Indeed.  However, Float RGBA is buggy, at least in my builds.
I can import Float formats like OpenEXR, and do HDR colour correction
on them in Cinelerra.  But 8-bit images and videos come out black as
soon as I apply any effect or adjustment.  I have not figured out why
yet.

The drawback I see here is that float would require 4-times morememory than "YUVA 8
bits per channel". Also computation would beprobably slower for floats.

And all this extra precision is applied to the same old coarse
8-bit gamma-encoded data, without any prior smoothing.  Same with
the half-resolution colour data, which _could_ have been processed
as separate image "planes", halving the number of pixels per frame.

Naïvely upscaled images introduce false information, like aliasing,
banding, artificial noise.  High-precision effects need pristine
input to work well.  Either untransformed pixel data, or very well
filtered and precisely transformed data.  The latter is expensive
(slow!)

--
Herman Robak