> How are the results if you process the original video the same way
> in Cinelerra and Avidemux?  Do you still get blocky and flickering
> video?

Here is the original from camera (50MB):
http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~ifapso/download/MVI_2230_1080p.MOV

saturated with avidemux (15MB):
http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~ifapso/download/MVI_2230_1080p_avidemuxcolor.MOV

saturated with cinelerra (17MB):
http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~ifapso/download/MVI_2230_1080p_cineleracolor.MOV

> There is quite a bit of luma blockiness, too.  I doubt the camera original
> is as blocky as the proxy, by far.

You are right, the proxy is more blocky, but still, in the cinelerra's
output, there are some flickering artifacts which are not present in
the avidemux's output.

> As we already have noticed, Avidemux appears to do more than only
> raise the colour saturation.  But what?

It seems only raising the brightness+contrast together with saturation.

> If you use the YUV effect instead of Hue/Sat, then a blur of 3 px
> will do just fine.  In fact, it looks passable without chroma blur.

I will try the YUV effect tomorrow, thanks.
Michal