Latency limits TCP throughput. I am working with an application now that is 
maxing out at 4-5Mbps over a link with 80-120 ms latency cross continent. One 
way to improve throughput is to adjust buffers/window sizes on the 
sender/receiver machines and/or use a WAN acceleration product like Cisco WAAS.

________________________________________
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of matthew zeier [EMAIL 
PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 9:48 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [c-nsp] what limits bw on a tcp stream?

I have gear in Amsterdam and in San Jose.  Pushing log files from
Amsterdam to San Jose through rsync seems to top out at 7Mbps even
though the box doing the push is pushing much more out to the Internet.
  If I run several rsync's it goes quicker so I know I have the bandwidth.

What's limiting me?
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Note: This message and any attachments is intended solely for the use of the 
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that 
is non-public, proprietary, legally privileged, confidential, and/or exempt 
from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby 
notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this 
communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication 
in error, please notify the original sender immediately by telephone or return 
email and destroy or delete this message along with any attachments immediately.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to