In case folks were interested it turns out the answer was "The upstream was 
limiting our ICMP to 5Mbps on a line over 100X that size and once the ICMP got 
> 5Mbps we started seeing this 'funky packet loss'" after we found the source 
of the ICMP and disabled it the issue cleared itself. Of course we were never 
told that there was any limit on the ICMP :D

So, what are folks using these days for NetFlow analysis (software?)

-Drew


-----Original Message-----
From: Vincent De Keyzer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:51 AM
To: Aaron
Cc: Drew Weaver; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] If BGP is running on a circuit, if you ping the other end 
you get loss. kill the BGP (and thus the traffic..) no more loss.

Just checking: you don't have any duplex (HD/FD) problem on Ethernet,
right? "Ping works with no traffic but does not work when traffic " is
typical of duplex problems.

Of course, if this also happens with POS, it must be something else; but
I wanted to check...

V


Aaron wrote (on 30/04/2008 6:48):
> Can you post show version and the show diag (looking for engine and memory
> only) of the affected cards. Also what is the current utilization of the
> circuits that you are seeing issues on?
>
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:13 AM, Drew Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>
>>                Hi there, I've seen this a few times in the past and its
>> always been chalked up to a line or upstream issue but a couple of times
>> I've noticed that if I do a ping ip with say 1000 repeats of size 100 I'll
>> hit maybe 60% loss on circuits which have BGP neighbors, but if I shutdown
>> the BGP neighbor and repeat the "test" the circuit is "clean". I am trying
>> to find a 'definitive' way to determine whether or not the issue is that:
>>
>>
>> A)     When I shutdown BGP the traffic on the line dropped to a level in
>> which the circuit or the "device" on the other end could actually handle it.
>>
>> B)      My Router/Line card could handle sending the ICMP because I shut
>> down the BGP session on the circuit.
>>
>> The circuit sizes have ranged from a POS (622Mbps) and a Gig-E So two
>> different types of line cards (this is a GSR) so I did a 'show ip cef
>> resources' and its all 'G' so I assume that means I am not pushing the line
>> cards too hard.
>>
>> I'm assuming the issue is A but I'd like a way to really know for certain,
>> any thoughts?
>>
>> -Drew
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
>> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
>> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
>
>

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to