I spoke too soon. I found this right after posting http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.1/20ew/configuration/guide/vrf.pdf

Switch(config-vrf)# rd
route-distinguisher
Creates a VRF table by specifying a route distinguisher.
Enter either an AS number and an arbitrary number
(xxx:y) or an IP address and arbitrary number
(A.B.C.D:y).
Step 5 Switch(config-vrf)# route-target
{export | import | both}
route-target-ext-community
Creates a list of import, export, or import and export route
target communities for the specified VRF. Enter either an
AS system number and an arbitrary number (xxx:y) or an
IP address and an arbitrary number (A.B.C.D:y).
Note This command is effective only if BGP is running.
Step 6 Switch(config-vrf)# import map
route-map
(Optional) Associates a route map with the VRF.


I just added different numbers and they came right up.

THANKS!



Brandon Bennett wrote:
My guess is they are doing vrf-lite and using frame-relay or dot1q to bring these 3 VRFs to you. Which means the RD (used for MPLS L3VPNs) are only locally significant in the case of vrf-lite and are arbitrary numbers. It would be nice if Cisco didn't require RD's for vrf-lite cause they service no purpose.

Now the import and export statements in vrf-lite also serve no purpose, but also not required. Interesting that they exist in the config.

As long as no interfaces are configured with 'mpls ip' and you don't have a 'address-family vpnv4' configured under BGP those values are meaningless outside of the local router.

HTH,

Brandon

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:59 AM, ChrisSerafin <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    I have 3 VRF's on a CE router:



    ip vrf xxx-General
    rd 1:10
    route-target export 1:10
    route-target import 1:10
    !
    ip vrf xxx-Guest
    rd 1:30
    route-target export 1:30
    route-target import 1:30
    !
    ip vrf xxx-Voice
    rd 1:20
    route-target export 1:20
    route-target import 1:20

    I just got 3 new VRF's from the ISP confgured, and I'm wondering
    what numbers I need to have for the 'rd' and 'route-target xxport'
    commands...? Are these arbitrary, come from the ISP, or can I just
    use 40, 50, and 60?


    Thanks,

    chris


    _______________________________________________
    cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
    <mailto:[email protected]>
    https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
    archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


------------------------------------------------------------------------


No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.0.238 / Virus Database: 270.11.38/2037 - Release Date: 04/02/09 06:09:00


_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to