On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, chiel wrote:
I got a 6506-E with a Sup7203BXL. Now I need to add some line cards to this chassis. I got two options.
You now have over 10 Mpps forwarding performance on the SUP in this case. Even in worst case with small packets, you still have several gigabit/s of forwarding.
1. Install 2x WS-X6408A-GBIC that I still have lying around 2. Upgrade a WS-X6816-GBIC which I got (currently has a DFC3A) with a DFC3BXL. I need to buy the DFC3BXL in this case. The device needs to do full IPv4/IPv6 BGP and possible MPLS and QoS in the future.
MPLS no problem, QoS is limited by what linecard you have. None of the ones you have can do much advanced QoS and don't have much buffers.
Interfaces will not push to much traffic in the beginning, perhaps 100Mbps per interface on average, this will probably increase. Will the WS-X6816-GBIC with a DFC3BXL significantly increase the performance for these requirements? Or will two WS-X6408A-GBIC do just fine? I'm pretty sure that 2x WS-X6408A-GBIC will do fine for the Full IPv4/IPv6 BGP stuff but I'm a bit worried when I want to do Qos and MPLS on this box.
MPLS will be fine, your forwarding requirements are probably a few percent of what the SUP720 is capable of.
-- Mikael Abrahamsson email: [email protected] _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
