This is RFC 4610.

Tim

At 06:41 AM 3/5/2015  Thursday, Phil Mayers murmered:
On 05/03/15 10:00, Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 03:19:09PM -0800, Tim Stevenson wrote:
You do not need MSDP under this configuration, Anycast w/PIM &
Anycast w/MSDP are two different ways to do basically do the same thing.

So, pure curiousity: I know how Anycast w/MSDP works, but with classic
IOS, there is no "Anycast w/PIM" - how is this done, protocol-wise?

The PIM RPs forward the PIM register to the other PIM RPs, if it didn't come *from* one of those RPs. They do it over "real" IPs rather than the anycast IP, of course.

It's been around on JunOS for ages, and works great. Never tried it on supporting Cisco boxen, but I imagine it works just the same.

Tim Stevenson, tstev...@cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Distinguished Engineer, Technical Marketing
Data Center Switching
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
+1(408)526-6759