Think of T1 as a speed designator only. In practice, it usually means a
point-to-point circuit or sometimes an ISDN PRI, but basically it just
indicates an overall speed of 1.544Mbs. Frame relay is a technology that can
be used over a T1 circuit (originally designed for a BRI, if you can believe
it...). Frame relay divides the T1 pipe into 24 channels (some or all of
which may actually be used). It's usually characterized by, among other
things, virtual circuits. This divides the bandwidth of the T1 up into
timeslices (DLCIs) which allow connections from one point to one or more
remotes over the same physical interface.

When speaking about the actual circuit (the wire), the T1 is layer 1. But in
the meaning of point-to-point (PPP protocol), it is layer two. Whenever
you're not clear what the other person means, have them spell it out for you
so you're both on the same page. Frame relay is a layer 2 protocol.

If you *really* want to delve into Frame, I *HIGHLY* recommend the following
book:

Frame Relay: Technology and Practice
by Jeff T. Buckwalter
List Price: $39.95
Hardcover - 368 pages 1 edition (December 7, 1999)
Addison-Wesley Pub Co; ISBN: 0201485249

It's written in textbook format, and jumps right into the meat of Frame
Relay. When I was shopping for a book on the subject, the only other
contender I could find started me back at the OSI model and the 1970s when
everybody had IBM SNA mainframes. I much preferred Buckwalter's approach.

Hope this helps. Holler back if you need more. I looooooove Frame! =)

- Don