Briefly,

T1 is a layer one specification describing a digital, point to point
circuit made up of 24 64k channels, each with 8k of inband signalling.  The
aggregate as many has mentioned is 1.544Mb/s
Frame Relay is a layer two specification describing a packet switched
network.

The confusion likely stems from marketing docs from telco's and the like
that describe the two as comparable "services."  When considering WAN
options, it is not unheard of to compare dedicated, T1 services vs frame
relay services between two areas.  In these cases keep in mind that the
telco or carrier is referring to a service in which case it can be said
that T1 and Frame are comparable "services"  However, technically, the two
technologies are very different.

OSI or layered wise, on a T1 circuit, one may run PPP, or HDLC, or Frame
Relay among other technologies at layer 2.

Hope that helps

Pete

On 5/22/00 at 9:51 AM John Zaggat wrote:

>Can some one clearly explain the difference between T1
>and Frame relay, Does T1 run over Frame relay circuits
>? Aren't they both Layer 1 in the OSI model.
>I have searched the archives and found some good info
>but I am still a little fuzzy about the concepts.
>Thanks Guys.
>
>=====
>JZ
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]